Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 2, 2010

Hello Dr.? It Hurts When I Go Like This!

Don't go like that.

People are usually helpless when it comes to taking care of themselves.  Especially men.
If you don't feel well, do something about it.  Have a headache? Take something to relieve the pain.  And if nothing works, call your doctor.

We all put off going to the doctor because they may find something wrong with us.  But if you don't go, something may really be wrong and you won't know about it until it is to late.

I'm not a doctor and don't want to give medical advise, but just a little common sense.  The same common sense that I try to use for myself.

A friend of mine was complaining about having knee pain.  It was very painful and had to leave work early. His knee pain hadn't acted up for quite a while and he decided to call his doctor to find out what was going on.

This was good common sense.  Find out what the problem is.
I heard from him later in the day and asked how it went at the doctors office and the diagnosis.
The doctor said, "it was Bursitis on the knee', and he was to rest, ice it and take anti-inflammatory medication.

We talked for a while about this condition and he told me he didn't want to keep taking pills.
I asked if he had researched this ailment further, other than going to the doctor.  He had not.  So, I went on line and Googled Bursitis, and a long list of help appeared.  I clicked on one site, The Mayo Clinic.  I put in a search for Bursitis, and information came up.  There was a headline for Bursitis on the Knee, and clicked on that one.

It gave a lot of information on the subject,  but according to the site, there was more that could be done to relieve his pain and help prevent his Bursitis from flaring up again.

I participate in many sports like swimming, biking, running, etc. and  have had my share of injuries in the last 30 years of running.  Tendonitis, hamstring pulls and muscle pain for a start.
I learned a trick on how to use an ice bag. Most people put in chunks of ice and put it over the injured area.  Someone told me to fill the bag 2/3 full of alcohol and 1/3 with water.  This way it is always mushy, and can be formed to the area of the body needed and no chunks of ice to hurt even more.

And no, don't use vodka and water.  Save that for happy hour.

Never do anything without consulting your doctor first!

But this gave my friend other ideas on how to deal with his situation.
There are always other ideas to be found or discussed.  That is why many people go for second opinions before taking a course of action.

Use common sense!
Listen to your doctor!
Don't take everything the doctor says as gospel.
Ask questions!
Research!
Be your own medical advocate!
Knowledge is power it helps you understand makes your problem clearer.

Like I said earlier, I am not a doctor and don't pretend to be one.
But sometimes someone has to give you a little nudge and kick you in the tush to call your doctor if something is not right.

Stay healthy and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment