Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 26, 2010

Keep Those Receipts and Read the Warranties

It is so important to keep receipts. Obviously not every receipt in the world, but for basic things.
Example: TV, Stereo, i-pods, Sports Equipment, etc.

You may want to throw them away quickly: DON'T!
And, read the receipt and the warranty all the way through. Don't let a salesperson hurry you. If you are signing your name to something...READ IT!

Here is an example and what happened to me.
I had bought a bicycle computer (speed-distance-etc.) and after a number of years it just stopped working.

I went back the bike shop I bought it at and told them what happened and wanted it fixed or replaced.
Yea, right, sure you do, was the reply.
I informed him that it was covered under the limited warranty and would like it either fixed or replaced.

In a very sarcastic tone said I needed to have the original receipt.
"Oh, you mean this one?" I answered.
His face just dropped and he muttered a single word, s**t, you would have that.

Well, he said, it's old and they don't make that model anymore.
I then showed him the warranty that said if not available one of equal quality or value has to be provided.

He was not a happy guy. I'll have to get in touch with the manufacturer. About a week later I received a phone call that he had indeed found the same bike computer, bring in your bike and we'll install it at no charge.

I was happy.

Save those receipts and read, read, read.
And by the way...if renting something READ the conditions and take your time and ask questions if you need to and don't be afraid to ask for a change in something you don't like.

The worst thing is he or she will say no and you can take YOUR business somewhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment